Friday, December 21, 2012

I Wonder If I Smell...

I wonder if I smell.

I don’t think I do.

I mean no one’s ever told me I do. Well, except for my brother, but that’s an exception for two reasons. One, he’s my brother. Two, when he did, I’d just finished a three hour workout. I think I’m allowed a little stink after that.

But otherwise, I’ve only ever heard good things about my smell.

So when the girl who sat next to me for the first few weeks of math class suddenly moved over a chair without explanation…I was a bit confused.

Of course she has the right to sit anywhere she wants to. And maybe she’s like me; maybe she just doesn’t like people that much.

But if it’s not a certain stench I give off, it’s left me wondering what it could be?

The other day in class I suddenly had an idea. I chew. It’s an 8am math class, I have to eat my breakfast right at the beginning. I usually bring cereal and let’s face it, it’s gonna be a little crunchy.

Mmmm…The awkward moments my eating gets me into…

The girl does seem to be secluded. We weren’t like best friends or anything, I don’t think we said more than the polite “Thank you” when passing out handouts to each other. It’s not a giant loss and there are many reasons for why it could of happened.

Whatever the reason, I hope I don’t smell.

The good news of today is……….that I’m practically jumping with joy to announce that yesterday was my last final. At 9:08am I officially finished my first semester in my sophomore year of college.

Looking back on this semester it’s hard to see where it all went. Late nights studying for rough exams? No, not really. Early mornings to find parking, and long days to fit in a good schedule, yes, but late nights no. Parties? Eh, I’m not a “partier” in that sense, I kept my head pretty sober this semester. Still, even with a clean head it’s like being trapped under a crashing wave and not knowing which way is up. I’m not so sure where my time went and what to do with myself now that I’m free. I have to admit that most of it went into making peanut butter sandwiches to take to school for dinner.


This past semester, out of all the peanut butter sandwiches I’ve made and left in the fridge, these two top the list:

The first is a classic; I’ve seen it over and over again. I never realized how good it was till I tried it myself. Honey and peanut butter.

Anyone out there ever had one? What’s your favorite way to make it?

Toasted? Grilled? Straight out of the jars?

For me, I spread honey on both slices, then the peanut butter (homemade). Then I let it sit in the fridge overnight, when I go to class I bring it in a lunchbox with an icepack and eat it for dinner.

As you can see, I made a lot of these.
By now, the honey and peanut butter have mixed and thickened each other. The bread is cold, the honey-peanut butter filling is rich hand sweet. As I open the lunchbox it’s hard to dismiss the strong burst of honey and homemade peanut butter (definitely the best part of the whole experience).

The second sandwich is more on the weird side, more…expected of me, by those who know me.

Peanut butter, BBQ sauce, and apple.

Would you try it?

I mix peanut butter and a bit of BBQ sauce (enough to taste it well, but not overpower the peanut butter). Then I slice the apple into either thin circles or thing strips. Spread the mixture on both sides of the bread and place the apple to cover one slice. Put it together and either eat it then or (like I did for school) leave it in the fridge overnight for dinner the next day.

Also, if you’re lactose intolerant like myself, but LOVE the taste of grilled cheese, grilled peanut butter sandwiches are a must. The BBQ and peanut butter sandwich makes a great griller.

The semester may have flown by, but I’m glad it’s over.

More time to do what I like: read, workout, experiment, and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment