Saturday, February 2, 2013

Making Yogurt Hannah-Friendly


So I went through this weird phase when I was little.

(Okay, I went through a lot of weird phases, but this one was probably particularly annoying to my parents.)
So Delicious yogurt, peanut butter, and Triscuit Thin Crisps

For a long time I wouldn’t, well couldn’t, eat yogurt out of one of the large containers. Don’t ask me how this happened or why my brain decided to outlaw the big (and cheaper) containers of yogurt, but it did.

Same yogurt, same brand, same amount, couldn’t do it. It HAD to be one of the small containers.

These days, I pretty much stick to my small containers because my local grocery store (and most others around here) only sell Hannah-friendly yogurt in small containers. I mainly eat So Delicious coconut milk yogurt. I didn’t think I’d like it because I absolutely cannot stand coconut, but my taste buds have gone through so many changes over the past couple of years that I’ve actually fallen in love with it.

I rarely even miss Greek Yogurt (my favorite).

There are three reasons I do not eat just yogurt.

1. Hannah-friendly yogurt is expensive.

2. Hannah-friendly yogurt comes in small containers and is at large risk of being eaten way too quickly.

3. Yogurt tends to have a lot of sugar, plus it's easily digestible. Two things that are not good for hypoglycemics.

So because of these reasons I like to make the most out of it when I get it.


First:

During my snooping around the Internet for various recipes and mixtures, I stumbled upon different parfaits. Thinking that a normal parfait just wouldn’t do, I mixed my own.

The ingredients: Your yogurt of choice (I tend to use mango or raspberry), peanut butter, and your favorite bowl. (In my opinion, a meal is never complete, without the perfect dish.)



Pour yogurt in bowl.

Add peanut butter.


Stir. Enjoy.

Second:

Yogurt and Cereal. (Plus any additives you like. Fruit, peanut butter, etc.)

For the most part, I do a combination of stuff. Yogurt, peanut butter, and cereal. What I’ve found this does, is make those little itty-bitty containers of yogurt, last so much longer. It’s also better for me because of the sugars in yogurt. With more stuff to digest my blood sugar doesn’t spike or drop as quickly as it would with just yogurt.

Yogurt, Cheerios, and peanut butter
Last night I made a dinner out of it. I started with mango yogurt and mixed in some PB2 (powdered peanut butter). If you try this, make sure to thoroughly mix it for two reasons. One, so that all the PB2 gets incorporated and you don’t have little clumps of it. Two, the longer this duo is stirred, the thicker it gets. PB2 is supposed to be combined with water to create a lower calorie peanut butter. But I read somewhere that it imparts great peanut flavor (that it does). Since when added to water it was supposed to thicken up, I figured it would act the same in yogurt (that it does). Next I added my homemade crunchy peanut butter. Then I topped it with some cereal. Last night’s choice was Honey Bunches of Oats Honey Roasted. Of course the last step is to stir it all up (without crushing the cereal of course).


What’s my favorite thing to do with yogurt though? My third option:


I’ll call it…Mock Greek Yogurt? Or insert whatever other witty title you can come with (I’m never good with the titles).

It starts out pretty much the same as the mixture above. However, for this, leave it in the fridge in an air tight container for as long as you possibly can. (I usually do overnight. But I put it in the afternoon before, and eat it for lunch the next day.)


Take your yogurt; mix in 2 tablespoons of PB2 (blend thoroughly). Drop a spoonful of peanut butter and stir that in. I prefer crunchy to give it some varying textures. Leave it in the fridge.

I haven’t had Greek yogurt in a while…But I can almost guarantee it’s almost the exact texture. It’s light, while still having some bulk to it.

(I’m actually starting to crave some right now…)


Maybe I'll create a new yogurt concoction tonight for dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment