Saturday, March 2, 2013

Just Like Clockwork

Some people I know think that this whole hypoglycemia thing just sort of appeared out of the blue in my late teens. In truth, I’ve been dealing with it since I was a little kid. When I was younger, my mom looked after me; she made sure I didn’t eat too much sugar and ate regularly. As I got older, I took responsibility of it myself.

I wasn’t too good at it.


I was pretty moody. The kind of swings that’ll throw you over the top of the swing set.


My blood sugar dropped at random times because of what I ate. Because of what I didn’t eat (I wasn’t doing the vegetarian thing correctly) I had a rough go with anemia (it beat my butt for a while). And while I wasn’t fat by any standard, I wasn’t exactly happy with how my body was beginning to look.



So probably junior and senior year of high school, I worked to cut out all the things I’ve mentioned on this blog.


In doing so, I realized life was a lot more fun when I didn’t lose control of my emotions every other minute. I also enjoyed getting back to my regular, active, hyper self when I finally started overcoming my anemia. Also, I’ll definitely admit that I didn’t mind getting back in the gym and losing about 30 lbs.

I felt good going to the gym, even just playing outside wasn't so much of a chore anymore. I felt more muscle; I saw more muscle. 


But besides the physical changes, my mind was more active, I had more confidence. I also learned how to control and live with my hypoglycemia. No longer did I have to continually fight my body. 

However, my hypoglycemia became extremely sensitive. Every two hours on the dot, I HAD to eat again.

My doctor said it probably had to do with all the changes I’d put my body through and a lot to do with my age.

Annoyingly, my blood sugar had put me on a pretty strict schedule. While now, at 20 and a sophomore in college, it has loosened up a bit, it’s still pretty straightforward.

9:00am - Breakfast.
11:00am - Lunch
1:00pm - Snack
4:00pm - Dinner

(Usually with an after dinner snack or second dinner around 6pm.)

For an even better description, think of a hobbit.

Obnoxious as it was, I realized that it helped a lot. While sometimes hypoglycemia can be unpredictable and there are those days when it’s just a struggle to keep my blood sugar up, it’s basically always foreseeable.

Which, for me, is like the best gift God could give. I like to plan almost every detail and I was frustrated at it’s sensitivity. What if I’m somewhere and I can’t eat anything?

THEN! The light bulb went off.

(Typical Hannah moment.)

My hypoglycemia works like clockwork. Follow the pattern. Go wherever you want to. When your travels fall over a meal or snack, pack it.


It sounds so simple and upfront as I type it out. But believe me, in the middle of the situation, it was a dream come true to realize.

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is valuable and everything.

    Nevertheless imagine if you added some great graphics or video clips
    to give your posts more, "pop"! Your content is excellent but with pics and video
    clips, this site could certainly be one of the greatest in its field.
    Awesome blog!

    my blog post: diet that works

    ReplyDelete