Saturday, May 11, 2013

Operation: Eat More Veggies


So with recent realizations about my health and my body (yes more than before). I’ve been determined to eat more vegetables and more fruits, to try and re-straighten myself out.


I haven’t ventured to full organic veggies and fruits yet, though there are local Farmer’s Markets, so eventually, that is the goal. For now, I just appreciate the fact that I can go to my grocery store and find some good stuff to slather with peanut butter.

Sweet potatoes are always a must. There is never too much sweet potato (it’s sort of like peanut butter in that regard).



I’ve been making a lot of stir-fries. Not so much out of lack of knowing what else to cook, but I just really love stir-fries. They’re easy to prepare, cook, and carry if needed.




As an additive to my stir-fries, I’ve finally adventured to try making squash myself. During the winter, my mom uses butternut all the time, it’s one of our favorites. However, I’ve been wanting to try spaghetti squash. A friend’s mom made it one night, and now I have at last made it myself.




So good.

I also made an acorn squash at Pyro’s once when the gang was hanging out. Topped it with almond butter and Haitian Hot Pepper peanut butter.


Veggies for dinner is all nice and good, but I also worked to get veggies in my lunches as well. Of course, not far, was the peanut butter.

Carrots are great with peanut butter. Plus, like 14 of those baby carrots is only 35 calories. So I pack a bunch and pile on the PB.


Baby carrots and Jif To Go was perfect for school lunches.

Operation Eat More Veggies gave me reason to confiscate a good portion of the celery in our fridge as well. What else can you make besides ants on a log?


(Okay, I’m sure there are plenty of things, but are any of them really as worth it as ants on a log?)

Another vegetable that I forgot how wonderful it is with peanut butter (it was a joyous reunion), cucumber!

Finger sandwiches…


Actual sandwiches...


By the whole…


All good stuff.

On a nice day out with Pyro, we stopped for food. I invested in some organic strawberries and raspberries. The raspberries didn't make it home.. The strawberries didn't last the night. 


Looking back into my childhood I remembered the ultimate joys of eating frozen peas. Lunch today was a vast amount topped with a good few spoonfuls of crunchy peanut butter. 


The whole, "Eat More Veggies" and "I'm a vegetarian" thing - definitely about the simple pleasures in life.

All in all, so far, success!

No comments:

Post a Comment